24.4 C
Lagos

Chinese foreign ministry says trade talks with US ‘impossible under current conditions’

Must Read

Kano Government Demolishes 130 Houses At Hajj Camp

The Kano state Government has demolished At least, 130 houses at the Kano Main Hajj Camp Quarters...

Buhari Condemns Attack On Zulum’s Entourage

President Muhammadu Buhari on Saturday condemned the ambush of an entourage of Borno State Governor, Babagana Zulum,...

Boko Haram: Atiku Condemns Attack On Borno Governor Convoy

The former presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Atiku Abubakar, has spoken on the attack...

China said Monday trade talks with the United States are “impossible” under current conditions after President Donald Trump tweeted that he saw an end to the dispute

“Up to now, Chinese and US officials have not held any negotiations on the trade dispute,” foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang told reporters during a regular press briefing.

“Under the current conditions, it is impossible for the two sides to have any negotiations on this issue,” Geng added.

Asian markets rose earlier in the day as fears about a potentially catastrophic China-US trade war were tempered by hopes the two sides will be able to hammer out an agreement.

On Friday, Trump had warned of tariffs on an additional $100 billion worth of Chinese imports, to which Beijing responded by saying it would stand firm.

But on Sunday he seemed to back off, tweeting that he saw an end to the dispute: “China will take down its trade barriers because it is the right thing to do,” he wrote.

However, top advisor Larry Kudlow, who has often suggested the tariffs might not go into effect, warned Friday the announcements were not negotiating tactics.

US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said the White House hoped to negotiate but acknowledged a trade war was a possibility.

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Kano Government Demolishes 130 Houses At Hajj Camp

The Kano state Government has demolished At least, 130 houses at the Kano Main Hajj Camp Quarters...

Buhari Condemns Attack On Zulum’s Entourage

President Muhammadu Buhari on Saturday condemned the ambush of an entourage of Borno State Governor, Babagana Zulum, which led to the death...

Boko Haram: Atiku Condemns Attack On Borno Governor Convoy

The former presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Atiku Abubakar, has spoken on the attack on the convoy of Borno...

Boko Haram: End this war now – ACF tells Buhari, military

The Friday Boko Haram Attack on Borno Governor Babagana Zulum's convoy has been described as alarming by The Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF),

Kaduna Govt Approves N1.6bn For Pensioners

The Kaduna State Government has released the sum of N1.6 billion for the payment of pensions, gratuities and death benefits to retired...
- Advertisement -

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -