25.1 C
Lagos

EndSARS: We went with live bullets to Lekki Tollgate – Army

Must Read

Africa’s Confirmed COVID-19 Cases Exceed 2.21m

The Africa Center for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) has placed the number of confirmed COVID-19...

Recruitment: Nigeria Immigration Service Issues New Directives To Shortlisted Candidates

The Nigeria Immigration Service, NIS, has advised shortlisted candidates for the CDCFIB Computer-Based Aptitude Test to start...

Court Sentences Austrian Ex-Finance Minister To Eight Years In Jail For Corruption

A Vienna court on Friday sentenced a flamboyant, jet-setting former Austrian finance minister to eight years in...

The Nigerian Army yesterday finally admitted that they went to the Lekki Tollgate on October 20, 2020, EndSARS protest with live Bullet.

The army made this statement while testifying before the judicial panel set up by the Lagos State government set up to probe the incident.

Through the Commander of 81 Military Intelligence Brigade, Victoria Island, Lagos, Brig. Gen. Ahmed Taiwo informed the panel that no live rounds were fired at the scene.

[READ ALSO]Federal Government To Spend N311B On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway

Taiwo, while commenting on the fracas during cross-examined by Olumide Fusika, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), however, claimed that the live rounds were not used on protesters but were meant for the protection of the army team deployed to restore order in the state.

While being cross-examined by another counsel to #EndSARS protesters, Mr. Adeshina Ogunlana, Mr. Taiwo said the military acted professionally and within the army’s engagement rules.

“The soldiers will be using both live and blank bullets and in this particular case, we saw that this protest had been infiltrated by hoodlums. We had peaceful protesters no doubt, but there were hoodlums who sought to take advantage of the protest,” he said.

However, he claimed that the army was not deployed to the Lekki Tollgate, “but were on patrol to clear up the Lekki, Eti-Osa corridor,” once again countering its earlier claim that the state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu invited the army. Sanwo-Olu had earlier denied inviting the soldiers. EndSARS

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Africa’s Confirmed COVID-19 Cases Exceed 2.21m

The Africa Center for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) has placed the number of confirmed COVID-19...

Recruitment: Nigeria Immigration Service Issues New Directives To Shortlisted Candidates

The Nigeria Immigration Service, NIS, has advised shortlisted candidates for the CDCFIB Computer-Based Aptitude Test to start checking their email addresses/phones for...

Court Sentences Austrian Ex-Finance Minister To Eight Years In Jail For Corruption

A Vienna court on Friday sentenced a flamboyant, jet-setting former Austrian finance minister to eight years in prison in the country’s biggest...

INEC Begins Distribution Of Materials Ahead Of Lagos East Election

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has the distribution of materials across various wards for the Lagos East Senatorial District by-elections.

Lagos Bye-elections: Movement To Be Restricted On Saturday

The Lagos State Police Command has ordered the restriction of movement between 6 am and 6 pm on Saturday, December 5, 2020,...
- Advertisement -

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -