25.5 C
Lagos

Nadal Opens Up On Future Plans

Must Read

Who Ordered Lekki Toll Gate Shooting – Tinubu Asks Gov Sanwo-Olu

The APC National Leader Bola Tinubu, has queried the shooting of protesters at the Lekki toll...

ISWAP/Boko Haram: Insurgents Attack Yobe

Suspected members of ISWAP/Boko Haram on Saturday who drove in a convoy of vehicles have attacked Babbangida,...

FG To Set Up N25bn Youth Fund

The Federal government says it has created a youth fund of N25 billion as part of efforts...

Rafael Nadal admitted on Sunday that the prospect of winning a 13th French Open and taking his Grand Slam total to a record-equalling 20 had seemed even beyond his powers of endurance in the run-up to the tournament.

The 34-year-old Spaniard demolished Novak Djokovic 6-0, 6-2, 7-5 to go level with Roger Federer’s all-time men’s record of majors.

It was his 100th match win at Roland Garros against just two defeats since his 2005 debut as he became the oldest champion in Paris since Andres Gimeno in 1972.

However, world number two Nadal had arrived in the French capital having played just one tournament since February as the coronavirus-enforced lockdown also prompted him to skip the US Open where he had been the defending champion.

[READ ALSO] Polytechnic Ibadan Postpones Examination

“Honestly, for me, one month and a half ago if you tell me you’re going to have this trophy with you again, I will say, ‘this year will probably be too difficult’.

“Doubts are part of life. For me doubts are good because it means that you don’t consider yourself too good. Of course, the year has been a tough year for everyone.

“But in the sport, life can change quickly.”

Nadal has been acutely aware of the challenges posed by the pandemic, claiming Sunday that his victory was tempered by the crisis which had also seen crowds limited to just 1,000 people a day at Roland Garros.

“It’s an important day for me, but I’m not stupid. It is still a very sad situation worldwide. If you ask me what’s my feeling, of course, I am super happy.

“On the other hand, I am not that happy as usual because the situation is tough for most of the people around the world.”

The health situation may also see him yet call time on his season which would mean missing out on the chance to win a first ATP Finals, one of the titles still missing from his career tally of 86.

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Who Ordered Lekki Toll Gate Shooting – Tinubu Asks Gov Sanwo-Olu

The APC National Leader Bola Tinubu, has queried the shooting of protesters at the Lekki toll...

ISWAP/Boko Haram: Insurgents Attack Yobe

Suspected members of ISWAP/Boko Haram on Saturday who drove in a convoy of vehicles have attacked Babbangida, the headquarters of Tarmuwa Local...

FG To Set Up N25bn Youth Fund

The Federal government says it has created a youth fund of N25 billion as part of efforts to address the ongoing #EndSARS...

Looted Items Were Fertilizers, Not COVID-19 Palliatives – Ekiti Govt

The Ekiti State Government has said that the items looted from Federal Government’s silos and the Agric Development Programme warehouse in Ado-Ekiti...

Youths loot COVID-19 Palliatives In Awka

Youths in Awka have ambushed and looted a trailer conveying COVID-19 palliatives stored in a warehouse to an unknown location in the...
- Advertisement -

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -