27 C
Lagos

UK Vaccine News Gives Hope As US Plans Mass Rollout

Must Read

Akeredolu Orders Herdsmen To Vacate Ondo Forest Reserves, Bans Night-Grazing

The Ondo State Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu on Monday, ordered herdsmen within the next seven days to vacate all forest...

Russia Launches Mass COVID-19 Vaccination Campaign

In an effort to end the epidemic without reimposing a new national lockout, Russia initiated a mass coronavirus vaccination...

US: Vice President-elect, Kamala Harris Resigns From Senate

As all is scheduled for her swearing-in on Wednesday, January 20, 2021, US Vice President-elect Kamala Harris will resign...

The developers of a coronavirus vaccine in Britain on Monday claimed success after mass testing, as the United States announced plans to give jabs to 20 million people before the end of the year to combat surging infections.

AstraZeneca and Oxford University said their drug had proved on average 70 percent effective at stopping the virus after trying it on 23,000 people, days after tests of two other drugs suggested they had more than 90 percent effectiveness.

The bright news on vaccines comes as Europe and the Americas battle rising caseloads that are pushing health systems to the brink, forcing governments to issue stay at home orders and close businesses even as the crucial Christmas period approaches.

[READ ALSO] Abdallahi,Mauritanian Ex-President Dies At 82

Canada’s biggest city Toronto will become the latest area to shut down later on Monday, as officials ban private indoor gatherings and limit the size of weddings and funerals — similar to measures already in place in France and other European countries.

“We can’t risk overwhelming our hospitals,” said Doug Ford, premier of Ontario province, earlier this week.

At the other end of the confinement cycle, Australia’s second-largest city Melbourne continued to emerge from a gruelling four-month lockdown with authorities lifting a ban on travel across state borders.

“When I went across the border I beeped the horn, ‘Yahoo!’,” said Melbourne resident Margaret Forster after being allowed to drive from Victoria into New South Wales for the first time since June.

The virus has killed almost 1.4 million people worldwide since emerging in China late last year.

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Akeredolu Orders Herdsmen To Vacate Ondo Forest Reserves, Bans Night-Grazing

The Ondo State Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu on Monday, ordered herdsmen within the next seven days to vacate all forest...
- Advertisement -

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -